5 Steps to Great Garden Care
Gardening isn't a "set it and forget it" hobby. It needs care throughout the season if you want a good harvest. Earlier this month, we shared 5 Tips for establishing a garden. Once plants are in the ground, these five steps will help your garden thrive.
1. Water Consistently - Irregular watering, such as under watering causes plants to wilt. Over watering causes the soil to be saturated and creates stress plants don't need. Water consistently and monitor soil moisture to determine when to water.
2. Weed Frequently - Weeds suck up moisture, steal nutrients from the soil and will shade and choke emerging seedlings. If left to flower, they will seed a new crop.
3. Thin seeded crops as they grow - As root crops such as onions, carrots and radishes grow, harvest some of the crop so the rest have room to grow.
4. Provide Structural Support - Set cages to support tomatoes and poles for beans. Also, apply mulch throughout the garden as it helps retain soil moisture and prevent weed germination.
5. Be Proactive with Pests - Know when insect levels have crossed the line from a nuisance to become a threat and be prepared to take action. Some pests can be sprayed with water. Others require different controls. Learn about control option and get expert advice from a garden center or one of our landscape pros.
Follow these steps and you will have a fruitful partnership with your garden this growing season.
This entry was posted in